1 dead, 1 seriously injured in East Palatka shooting

EAST PALATKA — Authorities said one man died and another man was flown to a Gainesville hospital in critical condition after an argument with a third person Monday morning escalated into gunfire.

Putnam County Sheriff Gator DeLoach said deputies responded at 10:10 a.m. to the Port Buena Vista neighborhood and found one man dead in a white pickup in front of 106 Margarita Road and another man bleeding from a gunshot wound to the chest.

Capt. Hancel Woods said Charles Edward Price, 60, was arrested in St. Johns County and charged with first-degree homicide and first-degree attempted homicide. 

DeLoach said the suspect fled in an SUV before deputies arrived.

“Due to the descriptions given by neighbors and the quick work of dispatchers, the suspect was detained in St. Johns County,” DeLoach said.

Prior to an arrest, DeLoach said, the suspect stopped at property he owns in St. Johns County and put a gun in an abandoned vehicle.

According to the St. Johns County Sheriff’s office website, Michael Nolan was released from the St. Johns County jail Monday morning at about 8 a.m. He was arrested in St. Augustine on misdemeanor trespassing charges Feb. 10.  

Michael Nolan’s address was listed as 106 Margarita Road.

Detectives did not have a motive for the shooting, DeLoach said, and the suspect was not cooperating.

Woods and DeLoach said the victims’ names would not be released until detectives could notify an immediate family member.

The Putnam County Property Appraiser’s website lists Michael Nolan as the property owner at 106 Margarita Road.

The suspect, DeLoach said, lived at the residence

DeLoach said detectives were working to extradite the suspect to Putnam County. In the interim, DeLoach said, the suspect would remain in the St. Johns County Jail.

Neighbor Tommy Timmerman said he heard a loud “boom” at about 9:45 a.m. and began walking toward the noise.

“Then, I heard multiple shots,” Timmerman said.

Timmerman said he saw a blue SUV drive past him.

Cheryll Keller arrived at the neighborhood shortly after the shooting.

“Everything was fine when I left at about 9:15 a.m.,” Keller said. 

Keller said she didn’t hear any arguments or disturbances when she left her home.

Neighbors gathered on front porches and watched as sheriff’s office detectives and state law enforcement investigators gathered evidence.

DeLoach said the surviving victim had surgery at a Gainesville hospital and is listed in critical condition.